Junior Youth Assembly is a three-day learning opportunity for middle school students, grades 6-8, designed to give participants an experience in the operation of Georgia's State Government. Legislators meet in committees and in the House and Senate chambers to debate legislation. Students are given an opportunity to discuss current state issues with state administrators.
Volunteers, along with State YMCA staff, help guide the students through mock committee meetings and legislative procedures. Students debate and vote on bills that their fellow delegates have written and presented. Bills that pass in committee are then taken to the floor of the House or Senate for full debate and vote.
- Last Minute Reminders
- JYA Tentative Schedule
- 2016 (40th) JYA Bill Book *the 2017 Program Book will be uploaded once complete in the fall.
(You may register one student as media, per 15 total students. Additional media spots may be opened per YMCA staff approval).
Writing Your Bill / Group Preparation / How a Bill becomes a Law:
- PowerPoint on getting JYA group prepared, Writing a Bill, and How a Bill becomes a Law
- Advisor/Teacher Group Preparation Step by Step
- How to Write a Bill
- YouTube Video on How to Prepare for Junior Youth Assembly
- YouTube Video on How to write a Bill for Junior Youth Assembly
JYA Needed Forms/Information:
- Medical Release form (for all adults and students)
- Restaurant Listing
- Scholarship Application
- Social Media Contact Information
- Individual Student/Adult Participation Form*
*note, info collected via these individual forms will later be compiled into delegation registration form.
*Registration Deadline by 9/27/2017 / $299 per student (two nights lodging, two meals, conference t-shirt (*if registered and money received by deadline (10/4/2017) and affiliations/charter fee paid), program costs).
2017 JYA Important Information:
DATES: November 5-7, 2017 (Sunday-Tuesday)
At the Crowne Plaza Atlanta-Midtown Hotel
*Deadline for the State YMCA HQ to receive checks in order for groups to qualify for free conference t-shirts will be Wednesday October 4th, 2017. There are no exceptions, if the money is not received by this date and if the group did not register by the deadline, the group will not qualify for this incentive.
Regular Registration received by Wednesday, September 27th: $299 per student (two nights lodging, two meals, conference t-shirt*, program costs) *if registered and money received by deadlines
*Payment deadline for in full payment for those registered to qualify for free conference t-shirts is October 4th, 2017.
Late Registration beginning Thursday, September 28th: $315 per student
Adults: $200 (Double Occupancy), $315 (private room)
NOTE: Those participants attending from a school not currently affiliated may receive an additional charge.
- Scholarships: Wednesday, September 6th (a form can be found under forms on the home page)
- Regular Registration: ends Wednesday, September 27th
- Bills Due: Wednesday, September 27th
- Late Registration: begins Thursday, September 28th
Future Conference Dates/Locations
|2017||Nov. 5-7 (Sun-Tues)||Crowne Plaza Atlanta Midtown|
|2018||Nov. 4-6 (Sun-Tues)||Crowne Plaza Atlanta Midtown|