Click a link to be directed to the information needed:
- Georgia United Nations Assembly (GUNA) is a simulation of the United Nations that aims to educate participants about civics, effective communication, globalization and, multilateral diplomacy.
- In GUNA, students take on roles as ambassadors and participate in a simulated session of an intergovernmental organization.
- Participants research a country, investigate international issues, debate, deliberate, consult, and then develop solutions to world problems.
- During a simulation they must employ a variety of communications and critical thinking skills to defend and advance the policies of their country.
- This program is designed for students in grades 6 - 12. *Some schools may do 5-8 or 8-12 for grades depending on how the school divides grades.
- The program operates Junior GUNA (grades 6-8) and Senior GUNA (grades 9-12) concurrently with separate schedules.
- The State YMCA brings in a living Holocaust Survivor to meet with students and share their story.
What Students Gain at GUNA:
- Expanded awareness of the world and world issues.
- New friends, confidence, fun, and a great time with a purpose.
- Experience with communication, consensus building, and compromise so important in international affairs.
- Increased knowledge of other nations' history, culture, national interests, and international policies.
- Sharpened skills of research, writing, speaking before others, and working with peers and adults.
DoubleTree by Hilton Marietta-Atlanta: 2055 S Park Pl, Atlanta, GA 30339
Junior GUNA (Grades 6-8) February 27-29 (Thursday-Saturday), 2020
Senior GUNA (Grades 9-12) March 1-3 (Sunday-Tuesday), 2020
*Conferences are held at an Atlanta Area Hotel.
Each nation is required to submit a resolution for GUNA.
- Registration Deadline by 1/22/2020 / $330 per student (two nights lodging, two meals, conference t-shirt (*if registered and money received by postmarked deadlines and affiliations/charter fee paid), program costs)
- Some schools attending may not fill rooms, but choose to pay extra so students do not room with delegates from a different schoool. Rooming prices per student in this case are as follows:
- 4 students to a room - $330.00
- 3 students to a room - $365.00
- 2 students to a room - $390.00
- 1 student alone in a room is not an option as this is a liability.
*Deadline for the State YMCA HQ to receive postmarked checks in order for groups to qualify for free conference t-shirts will be Wednesday February 5th, 2020. There are NO exceptions, if the money is not received, or postmarked by this date and if the group did not register by the deadline, the group will not qualify for this incentive.
Late Registration beginning January 23rd: $345 per student
Adults: $225 (Double Occupancy), $350 (private room)
NOTE: Those participants attending from a school not currently affiliated may receive an additional charge. *Typically $15 per participant. Late fees will also apply to adults.
Registration and Nation Selection begins & opens: December 2nd, 2019 @ 8:00a.m - GUNA Nation Reservation Form
*Reservations are time stamped. You cannot submit a registration on November 29th at 9:00pm and think you get the right to first refusal.
Registration and nation selection begins, resolutions may be submitted.
Scholarship (Financial Aid) Submission Deadline: January 15th, 2020
Deadline for scholarship application submissions.
Resolution Submission Deadline: January 22nd, 2020
Resolution submission deadline. Each nation must submit a resolution.
Registration Deadline: January 22nd, 2020
Beginning January 23rd, 2020 – late fee of $15 will be added to each registrant entered. Student fee will become $315. Adults will also be charged a late fee.
Payment Deadline for Free Conference T-Shirts (postmarked February 5th, 2020): Deadline for the State YMCA HQ to receive postmarked checks in order for groups to qualify for free conference t-shirts will be Wednesday February 5th, 2020. There are NO exceptions, if the money is not received, or postmarked by this date and if the group did not register by the deadline, the group will not qualify for this incentive. You also need to let your bookeeper know that the check must be mailed by the postmarked date or you will not qualify.
February 24th, 2020 (12:00p.m. - noon) – last day/time to add participants or make substitutions. Any changes made after this date will be subject to a change penalty ($15 per change).
*If you wish to register your delegation for GUNA, please click the following link and read all instructions and fill out the form.
Click the "How to Prepare" link below to learn how to write a resolution.
- GUNA 2019 Program Flyer
- Scholarship Application Form
- Student/Adult Medical Release & Publicity Waiver
- Restaurants within walking distance of hotel: